As a multidisciplinary neurological practice we see many people with MS who are newly diagnosed through to those who have been managing the disease for many years.
Individualised therapy includes physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, neuromuscular orthotics and exercise physiology which may be recommended based on your problems and goals.
MS Group Exercise Program
If you aren’t sure that exercise can help your fatigue, mobility or independence then think again. Our pilot study showed reductions in fatigue, improvements in mobility and strength and 83% of participants continued after the study was completed!
The MS program is run both as a clinic based program as well as a hydrotherapy pool program at a site 200 metres from ARC.
In May 2020 we also launched our Online MS Program! The program is delivered 100% via telehealth and means we can reach out to people living in isolation or rurally and remotely with MS. If you would like to learn more about the online program, fill out the enquiry form, clearly stating you would wish to hear to know more about the online program.
During your initial assessment with your ARC physiotherapist, they may recommend our MS group exercise program because:
- You have specific activity goals that you would like to achieve
- You are currently inactive and not exercising
- You are exercising but are unsure what is the best exercise for you and your MS
- You are concerned about your fatigue levels and exercise
- You are unsure how you can exercise with a physical limitation
- You struggle to stay motivated to exercise
- You are keen to learn and understand as much as you can about your MS to have a positive impact
Research shows that just a six-week program improves cardiovascular fitness, fatigue, pain, strength, and can make positive changes in health behaviour in both MS and general populations. The physical aspects covered include warm ups, cool downs, strengthening, cardiovascular exercise, stretching, balance exercises and functional exercises.
During the program, there is a strong focus on self-management ensuring that you know exactly what you need to be doing to continue on with this beneficial exercise approach. You will receive an MS booklet to bring to sessions which discusses aspects of the disease and how to manage them.
Over the course of the group sessions, you will have a personalised exercise program to continue with independently and a detailed understanding of the positive impact of exercise on MS.
Anyone living with MS can benefit from group exercise program!
MS Online Program details:
- Before your first session, receive our MS manual, self assessment outcome measures and all you need to know information before youstart the program.
- Receive a one hour telehealth initial assessment consultation with an experienced neurological physiotherapist from our Sydney clinic. Don’t worry – we will fully talk you through and set you up on telehealth so you’re ready to go.
- Receive 2 + one hour telehealth follow up sessions with your physiotherapist to start individualised treatment exploring your symptoms, functional problems and goals.
- Receive a tailored video prescription of your 12 week exercise program which has been put together for you, by your physiotherapist.
- Receive 12 education resource webinars and handouts coving important topics related to MS. These have been put together by ARC’s experience neurological therapy team.
- Access your physiotherapist at any point by scheduling additional telehealth sessions
- Book in your follow up one hour consultations on completion of the 12 week program.
- Our consultation costs can be funded through your NDIS plan if you are an NDIS participant. Telehealth rebates are available through all the major health funds, medicare chronic disease management plans and the DVA.