As specialist physiotherapists working with clients with Parkinson’s disease and other neurological conditions we often find it a challenge to select the right walking aid to provide stability, promote a therapeutic walking pattern, increase independence and most importantly prevent falls.
The U-Step Walker Stabiliser is designed to increase independence and eliminate falling among those with neurological conditions. There are specific features to the U-Step Walker making it superior to other walkers in providing stability, manoeuvrability and control. These features are:
- At 9.1kgs it means the walker is more stable than regular 4 wheel walkers making it very difficult to tip over
- With the U shaped base it is ultra-stable and it surrounds you in every direction
- Due to the wheel design it is very manoeuvrable, with a turning space of 29 inches. Most regular walkers require 50 inches. Great for confined spaces such as bathrooms and kitchens!
- There is rolling resistance control so you can set the speed at which the frame rolls away from you on pushing. Many people find walking with a regular walker means they go to fast and lose control.
- The U Step Walker can be purchased with a laser and sound cueing module. This works brilliantly for people with Parkinson’s disease, providing an external cue to step for those who freeze.
- The U-Step can be easily transported as it fold up neatly.
See the U-Step in action at:
We see many clients who walk badly with a 4 wheeled walker and continue to fall at home. These clients tend to walk less and less as time goes on, every fall knocking their confidence if not sustaining a significant injury. The U-Step walker is a fantastic walker to try in these situations. It is far easier to use than a bulky forearm support frame which unfortunately many fallers escalate to using.
As for the laser, we love it for our Parkinson’s clients who freeze and fall! It is easy to use and the line goes with you, no more strips on the floor!
Advance Rehab Centre have a U Step walker in the clinic which we trial with our clients and are happy to organise a home loan. We also have an Agilitas device and laser cane for our Parkinson’s disease clients to try if indicated. We have been successful in applying for funding for these pieces of equipment through the Enable NSW program.
U Step Walkers are supplied by Roland Priestley in Sydney www.rolandpriestley.com.au